8 Years

***warning to my friends with deployed husbands - I'm gonna get mushy about mine.

I have been married for 8 years. Today is my 8 year anniversary.

It's crazy. It doesn't feel like it's been that long.

aw, so sweet
So where were we 8 years ago? I was still at my insurance education editor job. J was a substitute teacher, and I don't remember if he was still at the gas station or not. I think I'd made him quit by then. That job made him angry.

Anywho, we lived in a small 2 bedroom apartment. We somehow managed to pick what would be the hottest day of the year to get married on. Family and friends came to Kansas to celebrate with us. It was pretty damn cool.

We were married July 23, then J left for Basic Training on August 19. I adopted Duke on August 24. That was the start of our family.

Then I look at us now. I used to have plans to add some color accents to my simple wedding dress and wear it as a formal for military balls. NOPE! I lost weight and got in shape, and that dress is too big now. On our honey moon, we hiked a trail in Steamboat Springs, CO that goes up one of the ski mountains. I was exhausted. It wiped me out. Now, I've run multiple half marathons and I'm planning to do a full marathon. I really want to go back to Steamboat Springs now and try that trail again. I think I have come so far that I would conquer that hill.

J had started running again when we got married, and now he's done multiple marathons, and his crazy 3 day bike tour. He can swim. That in itself is huge for him. He's active duty Army - see, we've swapped roles. I used to make the money and he did stuff like cook and clean. Now he's making the money and I'm cooking and cleaning.

And of course, we still have our grumpy-old-man-cat Duke, but we also have Remy. This is J's first house dog (as opposed to outside ranch dog), but it's something I always knew I would have. I always said I would have 1 cat and 1 dog, and I do. I feel like our little family is complete. (Sorry moms, no kids in the future at this point, still no urge to be a mom to humans.)

Together, J and I have learned to cook and eat healthier (no more frozen chicken nugget and french fry dinners), we've found ways to enjoy getting and staying in shape. I really believe that our relationship has only gotten stronger over the years. Yes, we have arguments, yes we disagree, yes there are times when I want to just shake him (and vice versa, I'm sure). But overall, I feel that we have grown together over the years, and helped each other learn more about ourselves.

J played a huge part in me gaining self-confidence, which lead to accepting myself as I was and allowed me to commit to making myself better. That's when I started my weight loss journey. I'm glad I did. I'm glad I can now look at that mountain trail in Steamboat as something fun and exciting instead of something challenging and dreadful. Although losing weight and getting in better shape didn't help the migraines like I thought it would, it helped me in so many other ways. I will never be very skinny, but I want to be healthy. I'm enjoying what I have in life, so I want to be healthy enough to make it last a long time.

I'm rambling, as I tend to on this blog. But it's a good day to ramble on about my relationship. I've been married to J for 8 years. We've been together for 12 years this September. I'm happier with myself now, thanks to being happy with J. I'm looking forward to all the adventures still ahead of us. Life is pretty damn good right now, and I expect it to keep getting better.

never imagined this 8 years ago!


Comments

  1. Awwwww...so sweet! Happy Anniversary, you crazy kids! Team Smith is so very thankful to have you in our lives and wish you MORE happiness for many, many, many, many, many more years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You? Mushy? Nah. Happy Eight Years! May you have many more awesome ones to come along.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

working on it

because I can

In Need of Advice