From D to D

It's official! The Big D (deployment) is over for us. J is home safe and sound. It was a long, tiresome trip home for him. He's already at work today.

Because today starts the next D - the Rear D. J is taking over the Rear Detachment Battery for the Battalion. He gets to shadow the current Rear D Commander for a while to see what the usual routine is. This means work, and probably plenty of it. Rear D Leaders often have long days, work on weekends, all that fun stuff.

It was almost surreal to know he was headed home to me. I had my trip to KS to distract myself. Short trip this year, but good as usual. I actually expected his trip home to take longer and was surprised at how quickly they got it all arranged.

He came home yesterday. I was nervous, which I hadn't expected. A good friend who has been through a deployment told me it was good to be nervous. He was exhausted from the long trip and very little sleep, so we just came home.

It wasn't like what you see on TV. Since he returned by himself, I just picked him up a the airport. We hugged and kissed, held hands as we walked to baggage claim. Even Remy was more subdued than I expected. It was like his daddy had just spent a reeeeeeally long day at work. But he is definitely happy. He shadows J around the house.

It's still a little dream-like. He's at work right now, so it's almost like a regular day. Or, what our regular days have been for the past 6 months. Except I might see him at lunch. And he'll be home for dinner. I have to start cooking for 2 again.

It will take some time to adjust, for all of us. Duke insisted that I get up to get him a drink from the bathtub, even though J was up and in there. Remy is pretty tired still from his time at the kennel (he loves it there) and then 2 days with his friend Johnny.

So here we are. Whatever else comes our way - long hours, drama, meetings, all that - he's home. Now we focus on getting the rest of them home safely.

I can only imagine what my friends going through longer deployments will feel like. You all know I'm still here for you. 

Comments

  1. I couldn't sleep Monday night because I was so darn excited for you!!! I'm so happy that you guys are reunited and will pray that Rear D won't keep him too busy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for you! It's so exciting to have your husband back. I won't lie, I'm a bit jealous, but soon, I too, will have my husband back also. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! So happy he's back safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are the best. I love redeployment stories :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

working on it

because I can

In Need of Advice