Duke-a-doo

Yes, we call him that sometimes.

Took him in for a 6 month follow-up. His teeth are getting bad again. There are a couple that don't look good. So he's getting a cleaning when we get back from christmas vacation, and might get some more teeth pulled. Poor kitty. Otherwise, he's doing OK. He lost half a pound, which isn't bad over 6 months. He weighs 12.1 pounds right now, which is a good weight for him. He still eats all his food, which is a great sign, and still insists on drinks from the tub. I'm pretty sure he drinks from his bowl, but not when I'm paying attention. So I'll keep letting him drink from the tub. It's cheaper than more vet bills!

I'm going to have to deal with the fact that my kitty won't be one of those really old, live forever cats. The chronic gum disease seems to be getting bad sooner (if that makes sense). I've had Duke for 6 1/2 years now. He's my fat cat. He snuggles. He tries to groom my hair. He plays with wadded up receipts. I love this guy. It's hard to imagine life without him. His super-loud purr makes me feel better when I'm sad or stressed. He comes when I call him, just like a dog. He tries to steal bites of my food and wants to sniff whatever I'm drinking (but turns up his nose to everything but water and milk).

Lately I've been trying to come up with good things about staying in El Paso for another year or two. Right now I have 2 big ones - we are close to Grandpa, whose health isn't good, and we have a great vet to take care of Duke without the stress of a move thrown in there. I have a great support structure here, with Kristy at it's base. She's moved here just after us and will likely be here just as long. And all my friends love Duke.

He is a great cat. Don't know if I'll be able to own a cat after him. But let's not dwell on that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

working on it

because I can

Cleaning Update