Cancer Sucks

Misty just lost her older brother. Tex died Monday morning of liver cancer.

Last year, she lost her grandpa to a bad heart.

The year before, she lost her step-dad to prostate cancer.

They say it happens in 3's. I'm hoping it stops at 3 for now.

Misty's sister and mom are cancer survivors. One of her Aunts had leukemia, and I know there are more in there that I just don't remember.

I wrote a big thing on my Relay page about it. I'm dedicating this year's Relay to Misty. I don't want to type it all again, so just go check it out. But it's been on my mind a lot lately, of course. It scares me that there is so much cancer in her family.

Misty is doing so good lately. She has achieved amazing things and overcome huge obstacles in her life, and I've been around to see a lot of her progress. She's engaged to a great guy now and they're getting married this July. They want to start a family together someday. That means I get to be an Aunt again. You know how much I love being an Aunt.

I just don't want her progress to be stopped by something, anything. I don't want to get the call that Misty has cancer. That would scare the shit out of me.

So this year, if anyone asks me why I Relay, I have a one-word answer - Misty.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

working on it

because I can

The Roof of Africa - Getting There